1. This week finds us in the midst of a strep throat mini-epidemic in our house. The 6 year old was really sick last week. His dad wound up going to the urgent care center on Sunday, and while they did not test him for strep he probably has it, plus double ear and sinus infections. Today, the 14 year old has a sore throat… I’m just waiting for it to get me…we’ll see.
2. A friend of mine recommended this blog post to me and I found it to be so beautiful and profound. It is about the Little Sisters Disciples of the Lamb which is a French contemplative order that enables girls with Down Syndrome to answer their vocation to Christ. It is good to be reminded that those who are disabled in some way still are people, they are not a faceless victims of a disability that have no worth or meaning. They are people who have deep feelings, and a soul with the capability of donating all to Christ.
3. Discover the beauty of the earth with the new photo NASA Blue Marble. If you click “All Sizes” on the upper left you can enlarge it and take in the lovely aqua water of the Caribbean, the beautiful mountains and deserts of the West, and the Polar icecaps. What a marvelous planet. You might also find the photos from the Goddard Space Flight Center breathtaking as well.
4. There are two new books out by Catholic blogging moms that you might want to check out. CatholicMom.com Lisa Hendey’s The Handbook for Catholic Moms: Nurturing Your Heart, Mind, Body, and Soul and Rachel Baulducci of Testosterhome has How Do You Tuck In a Superhero?: And Other Delightful Mysteries of Raising Boys. Both sound lovely – by two lovely ladies. Pull out your credit card right now!
5. Back in November, a wife, mom and blogger in her 30’s named Anissa Mayhew, suffered a stroke. I first learned of her on Twitter. She has been in the hospital or in a nursing facility since then. This past weekend she finally came home. I urge you to take a look at the blog Hope4Payton that her husband has used to chronicle their difficult journey. This is an amazing family. Her husband is a tribute to all husbands, and it is wonderful to see them all home again.
6. Well, how is Lent going for you? I’m trying to be more patient with the kids and not get annoyed when interrupted. I find myself slipping, but catching it first is a challenge. I have been reading more. I have got a great deal out of Fire Within: St. Teresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, and the Gospel-On Prayer from Fr. Thomas Dubay. Abstinence is not so great. Last Friday, I completely forgot it was Friday and gratefully and happily accepted that bacon and egg on an English muffin my non-Catholic husband handed me. Groan. I realized it later. So, if you do it unwittingly is it a sin? I did not make a conscious choice to eat that bacon. I forgot. So, I’m figuring that is not a sin. But I just completely forgot God that morning….yeah…real great, that one.
7. I’m looking forward to a Moody Blues concert my husband is getting the four of us free tickets to. Now, they were big when I was a toddler, but I’m sure they will be fantastic, as long as we don’t freeze to death. It is outside on the water I think (we do live in a warm climate, but lately it hasn’t been so warm.) Too bad it is not date night, cuddling on the bay while listening to great music would be very romantic. Listening to complaining children…not so much. But it will be nice to expose them to real live music. Wish us luck.
OK, you’ve read my ramblings, now go see more 7 Quick Takes at Conversion Diary.